Block 287: December 17, 2013



It’s snowing outside today.

Date: December 17, 2013

Crane: 287

Days Spent on Project: 304

Location: Apartment, Washington Heights, NYC

Person I would have sent it to: Nancy P.

Nancy was only a year or two older than I am, and she had managed to secure a job working with Actors Theatre of Louisville, on an over-hire basis, whenever another seasoned stage manager was needed. That first season, it seemed to happen once or twice (during the holidays and then again for the Humana Festival); the second season, I think she stayed with us almost permanently.

And for some reason, maybe it was because I was spending so much time with Abbey who worked as an intern in the stage management department… or maybe it was the shared time from the previous season… but during my second year, we became friends.

So I have to thank her for that; again, the second season was rocky for me, especially at the beginning. And in the times when I went shopping with her for apartment things (which included a white faux-furry rug and a crazy intense light fixture), hanging out in her apartment, or just driving around, it was good to have another person to ground me in the present and not think about all the people that weren’t at the theater that season.

As the season wore on, and I become more tied to the costume department with work, and she had multiple shows going on, we didn’t have as much time to hang out. But, I’m so thankful she was there at the beginning of the season.

I don’t know what happened to her after Actors Theatre. I want to say she landed in Las Vegas for a spell, but that could be any number of my stage management friends; why do stage managers gravitate to that city?

Music I listened to while sewing: I’ve got that old “Chill Out” Playlist on this morning. Everything else seemed too aggressive for the morning.

Thoughts/Feelings behind the block: Couldn’t sleep last night.

I was exhausted all day yesterday, to the point where I couldn’t even stay awake on the subway coming home in the late afternoon. I walked the dog, fed him, sat down to do work and fell asleep at my desk. I woke up hours later- at 9pm: I ate dinner, got in bed, and then remained wide awake until about 2am.

Woke up at 9am, panicked.

The gym is a priority today. Have to finish reading a play before then. Design/production meeting tonight.

On a positive note: I have New Year’s Eve plans already!

Time to get today back on track.

Please leave a reply!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s